Monday, July 29, 2013

Week 5 - Speak Your Mind

Well this week has been completely nuts. I have been sick, my companion has been sick. but we made the most out of what we had to work with. We went and saw two of our investigators twice this week. one investigator: Collin, he is a super cool guy in his 30's. he has 3 boys and a wife. We taught him the plan of salvation on the first lesson and it worked out perfectly, his main question at the beginning before we started was "I know I have more of a purpose, I just don't know what my purpose is. What is my purpose?" and the Plan of Salvation was amazing for him. the second lesson with him we brought the bishop with us and taught him part of lesson 1 : the message of the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ. He said he would come to church and that he really wanted to come to church. we waited for him where we said we would wait at church, and he never came. So that was a devastating. With our other investigator Sue, she is in her later 70's or 80's We have done lesson 1 and 2. she has been open and receptive to both. but she refuses to come to church until she reads all of the Book of Mormon and finds out if it really is true. Lucky for us she is really a good reader and she has kept all of her reading commitments. We are just trying to get her fellowships who will make her more willing to come to church and not feel so weird.
We Practiced with a Sister in our ward how she could bring up talking about the church, and how she could teach others in an appropriate way about the gospel.
We had one of the best lightning storms of this year this past week, lucky for us we were inside about 5 minutes before it happened and before the downpour hit. 
We had lunch with the sister leaders this week to get to know them before exchanges this Friday, Sister Bell, the Presidents wife, was there too. we went to Pei Wei, that place is pretty good!
After one of our dinners one day we went to go try and talk with this woman we had run into earlier last week and unfortunately she did the whole hid behind the blinds thing... which was disappointing. 
Thursday was the day of illness. I woke up sick, and then started feeling better around noon, but by then my companion was sick and looking like death. so we decided to not go out. We watched the Testament movie. 
Exchanges happened on Friday afternoon, I swapped Sister Fuller for Sister Christenot. Sister Christenot is very nice and she was very quite. she taught with me Collin the 1st lesson. The next day Sister Christenot and I were dropped off in Nantucket which is approximately 6 miles from home. We tracted and tried to meet with people that we had pre-planned. but unfortunately for us we didn't get any success. besides discovering that most of the Less Actives in our ward aren't there anymore. When we headed back and were more close to getting back we stopped by to see if we could find a referral that we had gotten from the Elders. We had tried on Sunday to see if we could talk to her but the people did a hiding behind blinds thing, but we caught her in her driveway! she couldn't escape from us now! but she told us that she was going through a hard time and when she was more open for the message she would call us... I don't think she will ever call us... but I will keep my hopes High!
We stopped by home to get more water and then we went out to the senior living center and saw Sister Harvey. she is a LA but that is because she can no longer come to church, she is pretty much blind and deaf. but she is a super sweet woman and she really loved having company. We talked to her about having Hope and Enduring to the End.
After the lesson we went back home and Sister Fuller and the other Sister Leaders were there waiting to Exchange our companions again. 
I learned a lot this week. I discovered the importance of making sure I talk to my companion about everything and anything. the more communication there is between two people the more of a bond we can make and the better we teach the gospel. I have been working really hard to make sure I keep my thoughts and emotions visible and heard.
Important lesson I learned summed up in a quote: "If you cannot talk about the little things that you think are un-important, how will you ever be able to talk about the big important things?"

Love Sister Call

P.S I have no idea how to attach pictures to anything. Or get them off the camera... I have lost all memory of using electronic devices...

No comments: