We are an
example, as a member we are always being watched. Those around us recognize
that we do live a higher standard and so when one of us makes a mistake it
stands out and the publicity of the moment spreads. As a member of the Church
of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints a lot is required of us.
Do we see what a difference we
make just by the way we act?
It is very easy in the Christmas
season to be more Christ like and to remember who we are trying to be like. But
sometimes we forget when we don't have things placed before us.
At church the other day an older
gentleman beckoned us over and asked if we had plenty of the necessities like
paper towels and toilet paper and whatnot. At first I was very confused, my
companion and I both responded that we had enough to get us through the week.
He then responded with, "But do you have plenty?" I admitted that to
his standard we did not have plenty. He then proceeded to tell us that when he
was a new convert to the church that the members would always make sure that
the missionaries had plenty in the necessities as well as making sure that we
had food. That the members would all work together to make sure the
missionaries were taken care of. He then talked about how the Elders Quorum at
the beginning would talk about the Elderly and any needs they had and how to
get them to their doctor appointments and any assistance they may need
throughout the week that the Elders Quorum could work out and coordinate among
one another to share this duty to take care of one another. He then went on to
say, "We members don't take care of each other very much anymore" I
sat in sacrament meeting thinking about what he had said. As I looked around at
the congregation I noticed that each family was separated. Either by a whole
pew or by several chairs. When did we start to lose the vision of us all being
a family? People might say that time changes things... but since when did time
stop us from being brothers and Sisters? Are we not all from the same loving
Heavenly Father?
Let us remember that for us to
be a true example to all those around us, we must truly take the words of Christ
when he said, "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one
another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another." John 13:34.
We must live what we teach
before we can teach what we believe.
Catch this vision. See the
beginning of a new year as an opportunity to become closer to Christ by truly
following his example.
"Yea, and are willing to
mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of
comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and
in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of
God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have
eternal life—" Mosiah 18:9
I Love you.
Love Sister Cindy Call
No comments:
Post a Comment